04 May Carport Vs Garage
So, you’ve decided that you want to utilise the spare space on your property to build a good shelter for your car. This is a great decision, especially because the Australian environment can wreak havoc on your car if it’s left outside for too long. But, this begs the question, should you build a carport or a garage? Not sure which is better? Take a look here.
What is the difference between a carport and a garage?
A garage or a carport is an important addition to any home, however, there are some key differences between them that are important to consider before making your choice.
A carport is a structure that is semi-covered and has at least 2 open sides. It offers protection from the sun, rain and wind and can be either free-standing or attached to the side or front of your home. A carport is a structure that is fairly easy to construct and makes a great shelter for your car.
A garage is an enclosed structure that has walls and a door. It offers almost complete protection from the elements such as rain, sun, wind and debris. Similar to a carport, garages can be constructed as free-standing structures or they can be attached to the house offering access directly to your vehicle.
Pros and cons of carports
Some pros and cons of carports that you should be aware of:
- They are considered low cost and are relatively inexpensive to build
- If you have some DIY experience and the right tools you could build one yourself
- They are fast to erect
- They can be constructed out of a wide variety of materials
- You don’t always need council approval to build a carport – if you do you often receive it swiftly.
- Can be used as a shade or to protect other items as well as your car
- Can keep the inside of your home cooler if attached to the side of your house
- Can be accessed by anyone and are not considered theft-proof
- They have a shorter lifespan than a garage does and are not as sturdy
- Offer little in the way of extra storage space
- They do not offer 100% protection against the elements
Pros and cons of garages
The pros and cons of garages include:
- A garage offers 100% protection against the elements
- Great place to add in extra secure storage space on your property
- Can increase the value of your home
- Are difficult to get into and are great at deterring car thieves
- Can easily be converted into extra living space if you ever need another room
- Sturdy and will last well into the future
- Are more expensive to build than a carport
- Require skilled builders to construct
- Take longer to build than a carport
- Council approval and planning consent are a much lengthier process
What you need to consider when choosing the best option for your needs
The value of your vehicles
Both carports and garages do fantastic jobs at protecting your vehicles, however, you should consider the value of your vehicles. Luxury and newer model cars are going to be tempting targets for car thieves, so a garage may provide peace of mind in providing extra security.
What you are planning to use it for?
Are you just planning to use it to protect your car? A carport could be perfect. Or, do you also want to add in extra storage space and have somewhere to store your tools and equipment such as lawnmowers and extra outdoor furniture? A garage may be the best choice for you.
Your budget is going to be an important consideration in your choice. If you’re working with a smaller budget, a carport could be the perfect solution for you. However, if you have a bigger budget to play with, a garage would be a great addition to your home.
Whether you decide that a garage or carport is the perfect addition to your home, our team can help you choose the perfect option. Get in contact with us now and see how we can assist you in building the perfect shelter for your vehicle.